How to Measure for Thigh High Compression Stockings
by John Woo on Jun 29, 2023
Thigh high compression stockings offer therapeutic benefits by applying graduated pressure to the legs, helping to improve blood flow, reduce swelling, and prevent the formation of blood clots. To experience the full advantages of these stockings, it is essential to measure your legs correctly.
Why Measure for Thigh High Compression Stockings?
Properly fitted thigh high compression stockings exert the right amount of pressure on specific areas of your legs, promoting optimal blood circulation. Ill-fitting stockings can be uncomfortable and may not provide the desired therapeutic effect. Therefore, taking accurate measurements is crucial to ensure an appropriate fit.
What You Will Need
Before measuring for thigh high compression stockings, gather the following items:
- Measuring tape
- Chair or stool
- Pen and paper to note down the measurements
Step-by-Step Guide to Measuring for Thigh High Compression Stockings
Follow these steps to measure your legs for thigh high compression stockings:
Measuring the Ankle
- Sit on a chair or stool with your legs bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Wrap the measuring tape around the narrowest part of your ankle, just above the ankle bone.
- Ensure that the measuring tape is snug but not too tight.
- Note down the measurement in inches or centimeters.
Measuring the Calf
- Maintain the same seated position with your legs bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Wrap the measuring tape around the widest part of your calf.
- Make sure the measuring tape is snug but not constricting.
- Record the measurement in inches or centimeters.
Measuring the Thigh
While still sitting, measure the circumference of your thigh at the fullest part, below the buttocks.
Ensure the measuring tape is snug but not overly tight.
Note down the measurement in inches or centimeters.
Determining Compression Level
Compression stockings come in different compression levels, such as mild, moderate, and firm. The appropriate compression level depends on your specific condition and the advice of your healthcare provider. It is recommended to consult with a medical professional to determine the appropriate compression level for your needs.
Choosing the Right Size
Using your ankle, calf, and thigh measurements, refer to the sizing chart provided by the compression stocking manufacturer. Each brand may have slight variations in sizing, so it is crucial to follow the specific guidelines of the brand you choose. Select the size that corresponds to your measurements to ensure an accurate fit.
Where to Buy Thigh High Compression Stockings
Thigh high compression stockings are available in medical supply stores, pharmacies, and online retailers specializing in medical garments. It is advisable to purchase from reputable sources to ensure the quality and authenticity of the product. Look for well-known brands that offer a wide range of sizes and compression levels.
Tips for Wearing and Caring for Thigh High Compression Stockings
To maximize the lifespan and effectiveness of your thigh high compression stockings, consider the following tips:
- Put on the stockings in the morning when your legs are less swollen.
- Take care when putting them on to avoid excessive stretching or tearing.
- Avoid folding or rolling down the stockings as it can disrupt the compression gradient.
- Wash the stockings according to the manufacturer's instructions, typically using a mild detergent and handwashing.
- Replace your compression stockings as recommended by your healthcare provider or when they show signs of wear and tear.
Properly measuring for thigh high compression stockings is essential to ensure a comfortable fit and optimal therapeutic benefits. By following the step-by-step guide provided in this article, you can accurately measure your legs and choose the right size and compression level for your needs. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider for personalized recommendations.